DIRECTOR: Stefan Ruzowitzky
COUNTRY: Austria, Germany
YEAR / DURATION: 1998 • 95’
GENRE: drama, mystery
- SCREENPLAY: Stefan Ruzowitzky
- CINEMATOGRAPHY: Peter von Haller
- EDITOR: Britta Nahler
- CAST: Simon Schwarz, Sophie Rois, Lars Rudolph, Tilo Prückner, Ulrich Wildgruber, Julia Gschnitzer, Susanne Silverio, Kirstin Schwab, Werner Prinz
- PRODUCERS: Danny Krausz, Kurt Stocker
- COMPANY: Bayerischer Rundfunk (BR), Dor Film Produktionsgesellschaft, Österreichischer Rundfunk (ORF)
- FESTIVALS AND AWARDS: Rotterdam International Film Festival 1998 – Tiger Award (Best Film), Ghent International Film Festival – Best Film, Fort Laudardale International Film Festival (Best Foreign Film)
In a remote valley in Austria at the beginning of the 20th century, the hated farmer who treated his farmhands like a tyrant and was rude to neighbours is dead. Still, despite everything, and to the surprise of many, the childless farmer left all of his property to the farmhands, and not the Church, as was expected. As there is no boss and nobody has to obey anybody, conflicts begin, while the wealthy local farmers, who feel threatened by this subversive example, try to bring the farm down.
About the director
Stefan Ruzowitzky (Vienna, 1961), director and screenwriter, known for his notable and awarded films Anatomy (2000) and The Counterfeiters (2007). He studied drama and history at the University of Vienna, and started his career with documentary films, music videos, and commercials. The history drama/mystery/thriller Hinterland (2021) is his latest film.
- Valli Cinema – 22.07.2022